[rpd] Legacy holders?

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Thu Jul 4 11:22:07 UTC 2019

Hi Mike

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019, 13:44 Mike Silber, <silber.mike at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Noah

> On 4 Jul 2019, at 12:29, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> You are still confused because I know the history AS37100 the pan-Africa

> Internet network enabler very very well :-) and such find response inline.

> Noted and thank you for the clarification

Very good.

> Aaaah an ISP is involved in providing some form of communication by means

> of their own infrastructure or another infrastructure provider. I don't

> think most countries with regulatory authorities would allow an ISP to

> operate in the country without being regulated,

> So this is were you are sadly mistaken.

> Many countries allow ISPs to provider services without a licence.

Some of those countries must be lacking a proper administration and Nishal
gave some examples on this thread earlier.

An ISP is a business and like most businesses some sort of licensing is
required and things like TAX come into play.

The only way for an ISP to provide services without a license is through a
partnership or business engagement with another business entity.

For instance I can form a virtual ISP that provides internet connectivity
through a 3rd party infrastructure provider which has a license. One could
also form an ISP to resale for another ISP without the reseller having a
regulator license. Such cases are common indeed. How Afrinic members
service navigate such cases, I dont know as my experience is with only ISP
which had a license.

> Hence the suggestion (by myself and others) that one size does not fit all

> and that AfriNIC is not a regulatory enforcement agency, nor a repository

> of regulatory expertise relating to every country in the service region.

I didn't say Afrinic was a regulatory enforcement agency. I was trying to
point out my experience while going through the Afrinic numbers resources
membership process and how the process required among other things a
regulatory license as proof that the INR will be used for providing
internet connectivity.

Noah