[rpd] Legacy holders?

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Wed Jul 3 21:26:53 UTC 2019

Hi Mike

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:26 PM Mike Silber <silber.mike at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Noah

> On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 at 22:06, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

>> On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 6:21 AM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>>> Do they enforce this requirement in countries where no such license is

>>> required?

>> I dont know of any country with no telecommunications regulatory

>> authority in Africa but from my personal experience, I have found it rather

>> great that AfriNIC members services asks for such licenses since they are

>> mandated with the management of Internet Number Resources in Africa.

> That was not the question asked.

I perfectly understood Owens question and my response was in line with the
application for INR from AfriNIC and the requirements required for that
from my own personal experience.

> Your own employer operates (or had operated) perfectly lawfully in a

> number of countries without a licence.

Dont be confused Mike, a member can lodge the application for INR in one
country and still use them in other countries within AFRICA. We are talking
about the application process for INR and the country in which folks apply
from and what I was saying is that so often, member services will request
for a license from the regulator.

You are instead confusing with network operations.

> I am guessing they aren’t planning on handing back resources (or being

> denied resources) because they don’t have a licence in every territory in

> which their resources are used?

Again dont be confused, application for INR in one country to use them for
numbering networks in that country and other countries within AFRICA in
encouraged by AfriNIC, after all this is the mandate of AFRINIC, to
allocate/assign INR resources for use within AFRICA to promote the
development of the African Internet we we are doing.

> Why is it any different for other members?

You are not following this discourse well and perhaps I have clarified
above and I was referring for specifically to ISP and not all other non-ISP
members and this was from personal experience by the way just so we are
clear.

Noah