[rpd] inputs on IPv4 Inter-RIR policy proposals - AFRINIC needs this policy now!

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun Jun 30 09:08:40 UTC 2019

Hi Ronald,

As said, this is something that the legal counsel should clarify.

My understanding is that the bylaws aren’t about the "numbers", because the numbers aren't a property of any RIR.

I'm not a lawyer, but if you read ICANN ICP-2, it is clear that the RIRs get delegated responsibility for the management of the resources, so they don't get the "property". This means that section 3.2 of the bylaws, will not apply to the resources, because they aren't an income neither capital. This will automatically exclude the "impossibility" to transfer resources to other regions as you suggest per section 6.1.

Remember also that bylaws, RSA, and ICP-2, clearly indicate that the management of the resources is done via the policies, so what we, as a community decide in policies, in a bottom-up process (the PDP), is what matters.

Last, but not least, if the bylaws (in this or another RIR), had such "problem", they become automatically invalidated (at least that specific text of the bylaws) by the ICP-2, at least that specific text, otherwise that RIR will not be adhering the ICP-2 and consequently be dismantled (I'm guessing).

Remember that other bylaws (from the other RIRs) have similar text, and all them  (LACNIC board ratified the policy about 10 day ago) have policies for both, intra and inter-RIR transfers, so this proves (I think) what I'm saying.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet