[rpd] inputs on AFPUB-2017-GEN-002-DRAFT-04 - Policy Development Process Bis

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon May 20 18:04:04 UTC 2019

Hi Owen,

El 20/5/19 17:53, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> escribió:

    > On May 18, 2019, at 6:16 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:
    >
    > Hi Frank,
    >

    > El 18/5/19 14:11, "Frank Habicht" <geier at geier.ne.tz> escribió:
    >
    >    Hi all,
    >
    >    On 17/05/2019 21:06, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD wrote:
    >    ...> 3) The consensus is determined only in the meeting (there is no
    >> timing for the discussion in the list) and consequently there is not
    >> a way to determine consensus from the list.
    >
    >    I read
    >    "At the end of meeting or after the adoption phase of a policy proposal,
    >    the Chairs will decide if the working group has reached consensus within
    >    2 weeks."
    >    as meaning that the PDWG chairs have the possibility to do declare
    >    consensus in the meeting without asking the mailing list.
    >
    > This was introduced after I suggested it, and it is very easy to understand it. If the chairs need to decide in 2-minutes during the meeting, it is more difficult to do a good work on that decision.

    It’s really not… If there is actual consensus, it’s pretty clear.

    If there’s any doubt, then a good rule of thumb is that is a pretty good indication of a lack of consensus.

    I’m not opposed to a last call period on the mailing list (in fact, I strongly support it), but for many reasons other than the difficulty of determining consensus in the meeting.

    > This is related to my previous request that the PDP also explicitly "count" the participants in the mailing list that can't come to meetings. This makes a bit more complex to decide on the spot during the meeting.

    Not really… It just requires the co-chairs to be up to date on the mailing list comments coming into the meeting. Especially if there is a safety valve in the form of a last call period… Comments which arrived late (just before or during the meeting) can be considered during the last call period.

The problem is that even during the meeting there can be emails in the list, etc. So, the consensus determination needs to be fair with all the comments. Furthermore, there is a lack of timing for the list vs the meeting.

Regards,
Jordi

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?