[rpd] inputs on AFPUB-2017-GEN-002-DRAFT-04 - Policy Development Process Bis

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon May 20 17:53:27 UTC 2019

> On May 18, 2019, at 6:16 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Frank,
>

> El 18/5/19 14:11, "Frank Habicht" <geier at geier.ne.tz> escribió:
>
>    Hi all,
>
>    On 17/05/2019 21:06, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD wrote:
>    ...> 3) The consensus is determined only in the meeting (there is no
>> timing for the discussion in the list) and consequently there is not
>> a way to determine consensus from the list.
>
>    I read
>    "At the end of meeting or after the adoption phase of a policy proposal,
>    the Chairs will decide if the working group has reached consensus within
>    2 weeks."
>    as meaning that the PDWG chairs have the possibility to do declare
>    consensus in the meeting without asking the mailing list.
>
> This was introduced after I suggested it, and it is very easy to understand it. If the chairs need to decide in 2-minutes during the meeting, it is more difficult to do a good work on that decision.

It’s really not… If there is actual consensus, it’s pretty clear.

If there’s any doubt, then a good rule of thumb is that is a pretty good indication of a lack of consensus.

I’m not opposed to a last call period on the mailing list (in fact, I strongly support it), but for many reasons other than the difficulty of determining consensus in the meeting.

> This is related to my previous request that the PDP also explicitly "count" the participants in the mailing list that can't come to meetings. This makes a bit more complex to decide on the spot during the meeting.

Not really… It just requires the co-chairs to be up to date on the mailing list comments coming into the meeting. Especially if there is a safety valve in the form of a last call period… Comments which arrived late (just before or during the meeting) can be considered during the last call period.