[rpd] Exhaustion Phase 2

Madhvi Gokool madhvi at afrinic.net
Mon May 20 13:06:58 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues

If I may add some clarifications on this topic  :-

At the time of triggering  the soft landing policy in April 2017, one
/12 IPv4 address block was reserved out of the final /8. This /12 IPv4
address block shall be preserved by AFRINIC for some future uses, as yet
unforeseen.  (CPM section 5.4.7
<https://www.afrinic.net/library/policies/1829-afrinic-consolidated-policy-manual#s5_4_7>.)
. This prefix is 102.224.0.0/12.

Exhaustion Phase 1  started and to date, AFRINIC is still allocating
resources based on the stipulations of the Phase 1 of the Soft Landing
Policy.

Exhaustion Phase 2 begins when AFRINIC has no more than one /11 of
non-reserved IPv4 space available in the final /8 (CPM section 5.4.3.1
<https://www.afrinic.net/library/policies/1829-afrinic-consolidated-policy-manual#s5_4_3_1>.).
This means /11 IPv4 of available space in the AFRINIC inventory.

https://www.afrinic.net/2017-01-16-afrinic-is-approaching-ipv4-exhaustion-phase-1

Regards

Madhvi

--