[rpd] Changing existing policies

S Moonesamy sm+af at afrinic.net
Wed Dec 19 21:32:02 UTC 2018

Dear Andrew,
At 11:32 AM 19-12-2018, Andrew Alston wrote:
>SM I know what the process to change things is - and nowhere did I
>suggest we do change anything - the soft landing changed a bunch of
>things as it is - and I'm not convinced for better - but
>irrespective of what you change - changing things in a retro-active
>manner in a way that would suddenly invalidate a use for space
>already assigned would almost certainly result in big issues and
>create large scale risk for AFRINIC itself.
>
>My point was - the review policy aint gonna help anyone if an
>allocation was legitimately made under current policies - and the
>policies that were in play when most of the bigger allocations were
>made allow for a whole bunch of things that people on this list are
>crying about - well - for right or wrong - the ship sailed.

My comment is not related to the review proposal.

Let's take an hypothetical case of a policy proposal which sets a new
Whois object as a requirement.  The proposal, once it is adopted as a
policy, would have an impact on the number resources even though the
allocations may have occurred years ago.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy