[rpd] Changing existing policies

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Dec 19 19:32:36 UTC 2018

SM I know what the process to change things is - and nowhere did I suggest we do change anything - the soft landing changed a bunch of things as it is - and I'm not convinced for better - but irrespective of what you change - changing things in a retro-active manner in a way that would suddenly invalidate a use for space already assigned would almost certainly result in big issues and create large scale risk for AFRINIC itself.

My point was - the review policy aint gonna help anyone if an allocation was legitimately made under current policies - and the policies that were in play when most of the bigger allocations were made allow for a whole bunch of things that people on this list are crying about - well - for right or wrong - the ship sailed.

What this community should have been trying to do for the last few years is improve the current policies around allocations - rather than writing policies designed to go on witch hunts against our own members and give specific people the power to harass, target, and screw with those they don’t like.  But - with the allocation policies being what they were *shrug* too late to cry tears and start trying to rebuild the logs that are already ashes.

But hey - if people wanna keep fighting over v4 and wasting everyone's time while we have to oppose policies which create risk, which divide this community and which ignore the clearly stated will of the people on the lists and on the floor - that is their choice - the PDP allows for it - but let it be written in history - that instead of attempting to raise the continent by helping it move forward into the future - instead of attempting to build the future - there were those that held the continent back because of their need to fight over the scraps of yesterday.

Andrew

On 19/12/2018, 20:21, "S Moonesamy" <sm+af at afrinic.net> wrote:

    Hello,

    {Thread moved as it is related to number resources policies]

    At 01:01 AM 19-12-2018, Andrew Alston wrote:
    >What the policy *does* say is that space must be
    >used in the manner described in the initial
    >application.  Now – that's wherre things get
    >real interesting.  Firstly – there iss no
    >guidance as to how strictly AFRINIC could
    >enforce this – and it's kinda bizarre – because
    >people who ao applied for space back years ago
    >in the dial up era that want to use the space
    >today for GPON – if their applicattion stated
    >they wanted it to number dial up users –
    >tecchnically – they would be in violation and subject to space reclamation.
    >
    >There is also *NO* method in the policies that I
    >could find to change the stated purpose of use –
    >that creates a very dangerous situationn should
    >someone choose to be stupid and malicious.

    If I understood the above correctly, it is about
    compliance with existing policies.  The "original
    criteria" seems applicable in at least three of
    the five RIRs.  The "method" to change existing
    polices is by getting Working Group agreement on the changes being proposed.

    Regards,
    S. Moonesamy