[rpd] Inter-RIR Resource

Omo Oaiya Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net
Tue Nov 27 17:13:48 UTC 2018

> On 27 Nov 2018, at 10:51, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:
>
> Sometimes, for deploying IPv6, you may need small pools of IPv4. For example, for a NAT64 if you go to 464XLAT, which is what all the rest of the world is doing. If there are no more IPv4 addresses in the region, the few left addresses will go more and more and more expensive.
>
> So even deploying IPv6 may require some more addresses. If we don’t have a policy like this, how AfriNIC ISPs are going to do it? They could just reuse existing addresses and several levels of NAT: More expensive, worst for the users, worst for the ISP (increased logging cost), works for fighting against cybercrim

https://afrinic.net/policy/manual#IPv4-Resource-Transfers-within-AFRINIC-Region <https://afrinic.net/policy/manual#IPv4-Resource-Transfers-within-AFRINIC-Region>

https://www.afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2018-v4-001 <https://www.afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2018-v4-001>

The likelihood of inbound transfers happening is low and these cover the eventuality you describe above.   Better that legacy addresses are transferred within the AFRINIC region than outbound.

Omo