[rpd] policy proposal - Clarification on IPv6 Sub-Assignments

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Wed Aug 15 19:54:58 UTC 2018

Below in-line.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Sander Steffann <sander at steffann.nl>
Fecha: miércoles, 15 de agosto de 2018, 14:34
Para: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
CC: <rpd at afrinic.net>
Asunto: Re: [rpd] policy proposal - Clarification on IPv6 Sub-Assignments

    Hi Jordi,

    > When we had this discussion at ARIN it looks like for a native English speaker was more on the other way (regarding temporary or non-permanently), if that's what you mean.

    No that doesn't matter to me.

    > But anyway, even shorter:
    >
    > "Temporarily provisioning address space to a third-party device, for use on a network managed and operated by the assignment holder, shall not be considered a sub-assignment. The provision of addresses for (semi-)permanent connectivity, such as broadband services is still considered a sub-assignment, with the exception of point-to-point links."

    No, that still deleting the bit that I added to cover the use-case why I started this discussion in the first place!!! Stop doing that :)

    Let me break it down for you:

    > "Providing one or more separate addresses to third party devices for use on a network managed and operated by the assignment holder

    So permanent addresses are ok, as long as the network is managed and operated by the assignment holder. This allows for a single 3rd-party server to be connected to a PI network for example.

->>> Yeah, we should use "devices" not device. I think it is clear that you can "repeat" that provisioning for multiple devices of a third party.

    > and temporarily provided address space to third parties shall not be considered a sub-assignment

    And this is your original text about temporary or non-permanent addresses. Which is perfectly fine.

    > . The provision of addresses for (semi-)permanent connectivity like ISP and broadband services is still considered a sub-assignment, with the exception of point-to-point links."

    This I broadened a little bit to give the AFRINIC hostmasters more flexibility to fight abuse.

    > 5) I avoid "like ISP" because it disallows the hot-space case (in my opinion)

    I do not know what you mean by "hot-space", but as they are only examples for the "not (semi-)permanent" bit that's perfectly fine by me.

 ->>> sorry, fat fingers ... hot-spot! A hot-spot is a correct usage (in my opinion) of the intend of this policy.

    Ok, a reworded longer version with more explanation but with shorter sentences to make it more easily parsable:

    "Temporarily provisioning address space to a third-party device, for use on a network managed and operated by the assignment holder, shall not be considered a sub-assignment. The provision of addresses for (semi-)permanent connectivity, such as broadband services is still considered a sub-assignment, with the exception of point-to-point links."

    "Providing one or more separate addresses to third party devices for use on a network managed and operated by the assignment holder and temporarily provided address space to third parties shall not be considered a sub-assignment. The provision of addresses for (semi-)permanent connectivity like ISP and broadband services is still considered a sub-assignment, with the exception of point-to-point links."

->>> My problem is that I read it as a duplicated:
"Providing one or more separate addresses to third party devices for use on a network managed and operated by the assignment holder"
and
"temporarily provided address space to third parties "

->>> may be now you see why I try to make those 2 sentences a single one?

    """
    1) The holder of an assignment is not allowed to sub-assigned address space to other parties.
    2) Providing non-permanent address space to a third-party device shall not be considered such a sub-assignment.
    3) Providing one or more separate permanent addresses to third party devices for use on a network managed and operated by the assignment holder shall not be considered such a sub-assignment.
    4) Providing addresses for point-to-point links is not considered such a sub-assignment.
    5) The provision of addresses for (semi-)permanent connectivity like ISP and broadband services *is* still considered a sub-assignment.
    """

    1 is basically what the current policy says. 3 is what I added. 2, 4 and 5 are from your proposal.

    Cheers!
    Sander

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?