[rpd] policy proposal - Clarification on IPv6 Sub-Assignments

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Wed Aug 15 19:34:05 UTC 2018

Hi Jordi,

> When we had this discussion at ARIN it looks like for a native English speaker was more on the other way (regarding temporary or non-permanently), if that's what you mean.

No that doesn't matter to me.

> But anyway, even shorter:
>
> "Temporarily provisioning address space to a third-party device, for use on a network managed and operated by the assignment holder, shall not be considered a sub-assignment. The provision of addresses for (semi-)permanent connectivity, such as broadband services is still considered a sub-assignment, with the exception of point-to-point links."

No, that still deleting the bit that I added to cover the use-case why I started this discussion in the first place!!! Stop doing that :)

Let me break it down for you:

> "Providing one or more separate addresses to third party devices for use on a network managed and operated by the assignment holder

So permanent addresses are ok, as long as the network is managed and operated by the assignment holder. This allows for a single 3rd-party server to be connected to a PI network for example.

> and temporarily provided address space to third parties shall not be considered a sub-assignment

And this is your original text about temporary or non-permanent addresses. Which is perfectly fine.

> . The provision of addresses for (semi-)permanent connectivity like ISP and broadband services is still considered a sub-assignment, with the exception of point-to-point links."

This I broadened a little bit to give the AFRINIC hostmasters more flexibility to fight abuse.

> 5) I avoid "like ISP" because it disallows the hot-space case (in my opinion)

I do not know what you mean by "hot-space", but as they are only examples for the "not (semi-)permanent" bit that's perfectly fine by me.

Ok, a reworded longer version with more explanation but with shorter sentences to make it more easily parsable:

"Temporarily provisioning address space to a third-party device, for use on a network managed and operated by the assignment holder, shall not be considered a sub-assignment. The provision of addresses for (semi-)permanent connectivity, such as broadband services is still considered a sub-assignment, with the exception of point-to-point links."

"Providing one or more separate addresses to third party devices for use on a network managed and operated by the assignment holder and temporarily provided address space to third parties shall not be considered a sub-assignment. The provision of addresses for (semi-)permanent connectivity like ISP and broadband services is still considered a sub-assignment, with the exception of point-to-point links."

"""
1) The holder of an assignment is not allowed to sub-assigned address space to other parties.
2) Providing non-permanent address space to a third-party device shall not be considered such a sub-assignment.
3) Providing one or more separate permanent addresses to third party devices for use on a network managed and operated by the assignment holder shall not be considered such a sub-assignment.
4) Providing addresses for point-to-point links is not considered such a sub-assignment.
5) The provision of addresses for (semi-)permanent connectivity like ISP and broadband services *is* still considered a sub-assignment.
"""

1 is basically what the current policy says. 3 is what I added. 2, 4 and 5 are from your proposal.

Cheers!
Sander