[rpd] [pdwg-appeal] SoftLanding BIS notice of intent to appeal

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Tue Jan 23 10:06:54 UTC 2018

On 1/22/18, 8:54 PM, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:

    Once again, you engage in ad hominem instead of substance.

    My perspective is that addressed are community resources to be used to deploy internet services to end users. My belief is that addresses have no utility whatsoever sitting on a shelf in the registry if there is a legitimate need for them to be used by end users. My belief is that it is a disservice to this community to protect a free pool from real end users with legitimate need for the sake of enabling some fictitious entity to gain some advantage later over a clear and present entity attempting to deliver service today.

So Owen

Based on your submission above a Chinese request for IP’s or an American request for IP’s which is genuinely based on need should be honored.  Though you did not say that exactly one could read it that way.

However, we have other policies around that which cover regions etc and we have worked based on that.  So we can deny resources to a genuine need and we have been doing that for years and so has every other RIR.  The word “legitimate” cannot exist on its own when we are discussing resources.

When Afrinic was created and a pool of resources assigned to it, there were definitely other legitimate users around the world.

I actually believe the disservice to the community are the shenanigans of a disgruntled few trying to hold an entire community ransom.

We are community of nearly 1 billion people with over 1000 members (I stand to be corrected) of Afrinic.

We have spent too much time on this issue.

The Co-chairs need to be respected and we need to move on.

Those who do not like this policy should present an alternative to the community.

If we do not draw a line here Next we will have legal challenges to whether countries are actually in the African region, etc.  Policy making has never been an exact science and we should not try to make it that now.

    It has nothing to do with capitalism, profit, commercial interests, etc. It’s strictly about good resource management. The policy in SL-BIS is plain bad management and I oppose it strictly on that basis.