[rpd] [pdwg-appeal] SoftLanding BIS notice of intent to appeal

John Hay jhay at meraka.csir.co.za
Tue Jan 23 10:51:48 UTC 2018

Hi Badru,

On 23 January 2018 at 12:06, Badru Ntege <badru.ntege at nftconsult.com> wrote:

> On 1/22/18, 8:54 PM, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>

>     Once again, you engage in ad hominem instead of substance.
>
>     My perspective is that addressed are community resources to be used to
> deploy internet services to end users. My belief is that addresses have no
> utility whatsoever sitting on a shelf in the registry if there is a
> legitimate need for them to be used by end users. My belief is that it is a
> disservice to this community to protect a free pool from real end users
> with legitimate need for the sake of enabling some fictitious entity to
> gain some advantage later over a clear and present entity attempting to
> deliver service today.
>

> So Owen
>
> Based on your submission above a Chinese request for IP’s or an American
> request for IP’s which is genuinely based on need should be honored.
> Though you did not say that exactly one could read it that way.
>
> However, we have other policies around that which cover regions etc and we
> have worked based on that.  So we can deny resources to a genuine need and
> we have been doing that for years and so has every other RIR.  The word
> “legitimate” cannot exist on its own when we are discussing resources.

Owen never said the other policies should be skipped. That is something you
added.

> When Afrinic was created and a pool of resources assigned to it, there
> were definitely other legitimate users around the world.
>
> I actually believe the disservice to the community are the shenanigans of
> a disgruntled few trying to hold an entire community ransom.
>
> We are community of nearly 1 billion people with over 1000 members (I
> stand to be corrected) of Afrinic.

I think both parties, those for the -bis policy and those against it, want
the same thing. They want to get the people of Africa connected to the
internet.

The difference to me, is that the people that are for the -bis policy,
wants to slow it down, while the people that are against the -bis policy
wants it to happen at the pace companies can do it. If they stay within the
policies and within the laws of each country, is that a problem? Go and
read Afrinic's mission. The last part of the paragraph"

"to support Internet technology usage and development across the continent
and to strengthen Internet self-governance in Africa through a bottom-up,
multi-stakeholder Policy Development Process (PDP)
<http://afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development>."

So Afrinic's mission is not to distribute IP addresses to ISPs. It is also
not to keep it on the shelf. It is to "support Internet technology usage
and development across the continent".

> We have spent too much time on this issue.

Yes but some want to see most of Africa being connected to the Internet in
our lifetime and not as a legacy that we leave to our kids to do.

Yes, IPv4 is very useful now, but as we go on, it will get less useful.
Already, if you implement IPv6 in your network today and get an IPv6
upstream, you will see half of your traffic being IPv6.

Do I think a single company should be able to request the remainder of the
address pool in a single request? No I do not. I think setting a request
size limit is useful. That way anyone (within the other policies) can
request up to that size. If he gets it, he go and implement it and then
come back, prove that he did roll it out and request more. That way anyone
that is active in rolling out internet to the people of Africa has equal
access to IPv4 address space until we run out.

If you really want to do something for Africa, require that a company has
to roll out IPv6 too at the same time. Just first figure out how it will be
measured. If we do that, the policy will actually start to acheive what it
states in its overview.

Regards

John