[rpd] Last Call Announcement - IPv4 Soft Landing - bis (AFPUB-2016-V4-001-DRAFT07)

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Dec 15 18:37:16 UTC 2017

On 15/12/2017 18:05, caleb olumuyiwa wrote:
> Many thanks Nishal for last email. You have written well.
> I haven't seen any specific reason why Andrew will predetermine what
> report should or not be sent by the Co-chairs to the Board. The
> procedure posted earlier by Omo was clear enough. With due respect, I
> personally think the attacks the Co-chairs to assume there is no rough
> consensus  on this policy by raising dust and accussing them before a
> procedural report is sent amounts to bullying.
> Additionally, if most members of the community aren'traising issues
> with the last call with there silence, it probably suggest the
> community is favouring the outcome of this policy. Like the adage
> goes... "Silence means consent". If you have issues with it, deal with
> the appeal committee that has been set up for arbitration and conflict
> resolution.

I think you may have this wrong. There have been quite a few letters of
dissent against the policy - much more than usual. These have come
across as letters from a portion of the community that usually stays
quiet - which would indicate to me that the silent majority are actually
against this policy.

I've also noticed that a few people who support the policy were not
aware that there is already a soft landing policy in place, albeit,
slightly different.

> AFRINIC PDP is bigger than one individual. We have much to gain from
> respecting laid down procedure.
>
> Like I always note, we are young folks that has much to learn from the
> community. Kindly do not compound the learning process.
>
> Caleb Ogundele
>

> On Dec 15, 2017 11:49 AM, "Nishal Goburdhan"
> <nishal at controlfreak.co.za <mailto:nishal at controlfreak.co.za>> wrote:
>
>     On 15 Dec 2017, at 0:24, Andrew Alston wrote:
>
>         Correct Owen - the only time the board gets a report is to
>         state that a policy has passed last call and consensus has
>         been reached and they should ratify.
>

>     is there something in the PDP that specifically prevents the
>     co-chairs from sending a report to the board if there is no consensus?
>     according to
>     https://www.afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development/pdwg
>     <https://www.afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development/pdwg> one
>     of the duties of the co-chairs is:
>     “* Sending a report of the outcomes of policy discussions at
>     public policy meetings to the Board of Directors.”
>
>     i read that as :
>     * this is what was discussed
>     * this is the outcome (whichever way it goes)
>
>     so, i don’t agree with the implication in this thread, that there
>     is a pre-determined outcome.  all sami’s mail said was:  “.. the
>     Co-chairs will send the report to the board”.  which i find to be
>     appropriate.  i’m willing to bet, that the co-chairs fully intend
>     to write a short report, whichever way their determination of
>     consensus goes (ie. either yay or nay to the proposal), and *that*
>     is what sami meant.
>
>     —n.

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496