[rpd] Opposition to the changes in the AfriNIC Soft Landing Policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Dec 7 09:20:38 UTC 2017

Looking at what RIPE, ARIN, or APNIC have done in this context really isn’t applicable or useful.

RIPE and ARIN both faced runout in a situation of near 100% eyeball penetration at the time of entering the runout phase. APNIC didn’t have that, but they did have that across much of the region. Further complicating that, the areas that had low penetration also tended to have low participation in the APNIC policy development process.

AfriNIC, in contrast is far from 100% eyeball penetration even now. Eyeball networks are still aggressively expanding and crippling that expansion with a draconian policy in order to ensure space is available to newcomers decades from now when there is little chance of IPv4 relevance makes no sense whatsoever.

If I were to propose or support a change to the existing soft landing policy, it would be to remove it entirely or at least remove or shorten the reapplication time limits.

An offer to make this proposal a little less harmful than it currently is is a little bit like King Herod’s offer to cut the baby in half to resolve a custody dispute.

Owen