[rpd] Opposition to the changes in the AfriNIC Soft Landing Policy

Uffa Modey uffa_modey at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 08:19:44 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

Pleased to joined the discussions on this mailing list.
I attended Afrinic-27, which was my first Afrinic face to face meeting and I only just recently subscribed to this mailing list.
I found Afrinic-27 meeting to be extremely educative and welcoming for a first timer like myself.
However, after joining the mailing list, reviewing the IPv4 Soft Landing policy and going through the different opinions of all our esteemed members on this list, I will like clarification on the following;

1. I noticed that the main discussion here is on how consensus may or may not have been arrived at, as regards the policy being discussed. Is there no proper metric being used by the Chairs to gauge the arrival of consensus?

2. I find that there are disagreements to this policy due to the fact that it "does not cater for promotion of IPv6". Does this policy not serve "summarize how AFRINIC should manage allocations/assignments from the last /8?" Would it not be ideal for there to be another AFRINIC policy which should be dedicated to promotion of IPv6 implementation? Also does the reservation of a certain amount of IPv4 not serve to in future, have these IPv4 addresses available to members during the inevitable IPv6 transition?

Best Regards,
Uffa Modey
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:20 AM, John Hay<jhay at meraka.csir.co.za> wrote:   _______________________________________________