[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jul 12 23:40:03 UTC 2017

> On Jul 12, 2017, at 11:06, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:
>

> The fact that other RIR’s DO permit members from other regions to inbound transfer space means that there is choice – and the members of AFRINIC are being held to ransom through the lack of a transfer policy
>
> False. With the exception of RIPE the other RIRs also follow the territorial exclusivity provisions of ICP-2
>
> I'll leave your other points to those who care to comment on them.
>
> Owen
>

> Hi Owen,
>
> Maybe I am missing something, but I have brokered deals from RIPE to ARIN and from RIPE to APNIC.
> And from ARIN to RIPE and ARIN to APNIC. And from APNIC to RIPE and from APNIC to ARIN.
>
> LACNIC only allows intra-regional transfers.
>
> They all work.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

Sure... but ARIN and APNIC don't allow an inbound transfer to an out-of-region recipient. If you are an ISP operating exclusively in Africa, you can't transfer space into ARIN or APNIC or be a transfer recipient of any kind in those RIRs. You have to have some amount of operations in region to qualify as a transfer recipient there.