[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

Omo Oaiya Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net
Wed Jul 12 05:08:06 UTC 2017

On 11 July 2017 at 13:38, David Hilario <d.hilario at laruscloudservice.net>
wrote:

> Dear Omo,
>
> On 11 July 2017 at 11:27, Omo Oaiya <Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net> wrote:
> > Owen,
> >
> > The final legal feedback notwithstanding (which I am sure the authors
> will
> > respond to), I only see negative feedback from a handful of people.  The
> > fact that this is voiced repeatedly does not in any way increase the
> volume.
>
> Volume is irrelevant in the policy making, even a single voice from a
> totally unknown person can block anything, as long as that person has
> a valid and sustained.

Valid is the keyword here

> Almost none of the arguments put forward against the policy were new,
> they had just been slipped under the radar or were just being ignored.

Ignored by the entire community?  the Co-Chairs?

> > It is your misinterpretation that is more likely to be confusing to the
> > community.  Resource review is essential activity for Internet registries
> > even if they are only bookkeepers like some would have them be.
>
> All RIRs do reviews, but none of them are aimed solely at
> de-registering,

Policy says AfriNIC will only claim as last resort and would work with the
reviewed party to reach compliance.  The undue focus on deregistration is
what is worrying.

Ashok's email actually goes into quite some length
> into that topic.

No.  It doesn't.  Happy for you to correct me and quote which part says
this.

> > AFRINIC would be failing in its accountability to the community without a
> > policy like this.   Please let the Co-Chairs do their job
>
> This would imply that AFRINIC as the secretariat would have been
> failing the community up until this point!
> Which is simply not true.

We should want to improve Afrinic.   It is the only RIR without a review
policy.