[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

David Hilario d.hilario at laruscloudservice.net
Tue Jul 11 20:46:35 UTC 2017

Omo,

On 11 July 2017 at 21:12, Omo Oaiya <Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net> wrote:

> On 11 July 2017 at 18:29, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>
>> Omo,
>>
>> Consensus isn’t determined by the number of objections, it is determined
>> by the lack of a sustained objection which has not been addressed by the
>> community.
>

> Such sustained objections have to have a credible basis otherwise an abuse
> of this understanding

"no credibility" according to you, but those objections are also
present in the analysis of Ashok's legal advice!

Rejecting and ignoring peoples comments and remarks is not acceptable
in a bottom up policy development process.

Your comments are very worrying, trying to silence people in such a
way is almost akin of bullying people into silence.

>> While there may only be a few people offering negative feedback, it has
>> been substantive in nature and the issues raised have not been addressed.
>>

> In your opinion

This is exactly how almost any of of the arguments opposing this
proposal were met and treated with.
No constructive remarks, just "In your opinion", which doesn't address
any of the issues at hand.

>> Additionally, there have also only been a handful of people expressing
>> support for this policy.
>

> How do you think it got to last call then?

Maybe this shows that opinion in the room at the meeting, does not
necessarily reflect general reality?
It also shows the process is well designed, there is a reason why last
call on the mailing lists exists, for this very type of situations?
Last call would already had been closed by the chairs and the proposal
approved if none of the opposition were credible.

I may add that almost everyone with objections agrees on a "review
policy" idea, but not on a de-registration policy masqueraded as a
review policy.
That can also explain some of the confusion as why we are here now
still discussing the topic.