[rpd] Board Election 2017: Final Candidate Slate

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon May 22 11:39:21 UTC 2017

Hi Chevalier,

I never said age matters - the "young" was referring to someone just out
of University. If we have a 25 year old running a multinational company
- that's fine by me. That should have been obvious.

When I first became a Board Member of AFRINIC eighth or so years ago,
there was a young lady from Kenya who also joined. She was fresh out of
University and, as only two people volunteered for East Africa, and
there were two places to fill, she got on. Never came to a meeting and
met her only once at ICANN in Kenya.
The Board eventually discarded her.
Should NomCom have declined her and left a vacancy - probably not.
Would that happen today - hope not.

Generally speaking though, it takes a while to acquire Board, Management
and Executive experience, which implies some sort of time (a number of
years) has passed.

I don't think I want to see old (aged) people on the board either - but
age is a relative thing (65 is no longer quite so "old" to me :)

(Isn't the new boss of France the youngest for some time - and he's 45+
or something?)

Some technical people on the Board does help - as this is a Technical
Company. It also makes sense that the Directors generally understand the
Business. Adiel also used me as a guinea pig for a number of technical
things - e.g. E-Voting.

On 22/05/2017 13:09, Chevalier du Borg wrote:

> <mailto:badru.ntege at nftconsult.com>>:
>
>     The issue under discussion is not about Managers or CEO’s.
>

> not directly. issue is about their skillset board member need to
> guide/support CEO.
>

>      It’s about Board Members.
>

> Correct, who have to guide/support the CEO, not staff.
>

>     And my reference goes back to the make up of the board of the most
>     successful companies or organizations.   They meticulously pick
>     competent, educated, and experienced board members to guide the
>     CEO regardless of his educational level.
>

> If by 'his' you mean the candiate for board, then we are in agreement.
> If by 'his' you mean  CEO, then I disagree this is not about CEO, he
> has already been chose.
>

> We are about to choose people who guide him, who evaluate him, who
> counterbalance him to ensure the company remain strong and in health.
> So if you pick a PhD in Advance BGP with 23.15 year experience in
> publishing paper on micro-BGP array but have never run manage a
> budget, have never create or try to put in action a strategy plan,
> have never build a team,  how helpful is that to board? ceo? copany?
> community?
>

>     A quick look at what other RIR’s expect as an entry to the board
>     shows you that we need to look at this issue either in Nomcom or
>     even at election time.
>
>     Its all about the choices we make.
>

> so let use this as opportunity to have conversation about skill and
> experience that a board member must have (age don't matter Mr
> Mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Then nomcom must be able to evaluate candiate
> against that critere and decline. Right now, bar is soooooooooooooo
> low, anyone can apply and depending on the war going on between
> different faction, just win and become bord member even if they are
> total unfit to be.
>

> --
> Borg le Chevalier

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496