[rpd] Board Election 2017: Final Candidate Slate

Chevalier du Borg virtual.borg at gmail.com
Mon May 22 10:10:20 UTC 2017

>> when i look at your RIPE Board each individual is a distinguished
>> achiever both academically and professionally. your chair studied at
>> one of the best universities in the world.
>>

> He did not say we ignore their academic achievement.
> He actually say their professional achievement is much important, even
> more than academic one
>

> So “professional” covers many facets.  I might be the best routing expert
> in the world but very little business acumen.  And Vis Vasa.

that correct. may be we should say 'professional' in the context of being a
directeur or bord member

> So whats the Job to be done as a board member of an RIR??.

we can all agree it is not routing or writing code (even though if we is
another company, this may be exactly what is needed)

> The best routing expert might not have the necessary skill sets for this
> role.

correct. unless that routing expert maybe setup and has successfully run
their own company or serve as CTO in some successful company before where
he has acquire other skill that apart from routing - strategy, execution,
legal, finance, parthership etc

his routing expert is NOT a liability, is just not relevant in this role.
 (even though it *may* be useful sometime during the job). No body is
saying academic or other technical professional accomplishment are bad, i
am just saying good or bad of an accomplishment must be decide by what is
expected from a bord member.

> I believe this thread is really asking whether as Afrinic we have set up
> the right criteria to get the best leadership for the current and near
> challenges.

finally! that indeed is the question. and if we have those, we can start to
evaluate qualify of candidates better.

> Reference has been made to CEO’s without the qualifications succeeding.
> Please go back and look at the board make up of all those CEO’s
> organizations, and I can guarantee you they will mostly have MBA’s PHD’s
> etc.

correlation != causation
education is clearly very very very very important. Degree is just one way
to meaure that (that lazy way actually)

I keep referring you on this subject to the well researched articles that
does deep analysis

See https://hbr.org/2015/11/the-best-performing-ceos-in-the-world  -- only
26% of top 100 CEOs have an MBA

If you want more detailed review of this issue by one of world top
management thinker ... get the book "Manager Not MBA"
https://www.amazon.com/Managers-Not-MBAs-Management-Development/dp/1576753514

but again, you run a business and you do know what i am talking about
better even

--
Borg le Chevalier