[rpd] Board Election 2017: Final Candidate Slate

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon May 22 09:57:21 UTC 2017

My belief: (What I tried to get when on NomCom)

Degrees are all well and fine - but you primarily want successful
Leaders. People who have been on other Boards in the ICT world make
sense. (ISPA, Registries, ISP's, ISOC, ICANN and RIRs). Experience from
non-profit boards also makes sense (as AFRINIC is a non-Profit company
in the IT world)

Candidates should not be too young (that is, still in or just out of
University or still doing their PhD) and have worked for five years+ in
the IT Industry - as well as respected and known by their local
industry. Having chairman, auditor or financial skills and
responsibilities can only help.

AFRINIC - although non-profit - is still a business. I want a Board with
business experience.

On 22/05/2017 11:31, Chevalier du Borg wrote:

> <mailto:honest1989 at gmail.com>>:
>
>     If you also took the time to read carefully what has been said, no
>     one has downplayed professional achievements over academic ones.
>     If you also took some time to do your research, board members of
>     those RIRs have BOTH.
>

> keyword is BOTH.
> Sander point was if you must pick one, it must not be academic, it
> must be professional.
>

>     My point is still valid: we are expected to lower our expectations
>     here.
>

> no one expect us to. but we already do that ourselve by thinking
> technical academic qualification is more important for
> management/board position. Read the CV of the candidates running -
> that where the evidence of standard or no standard is.
>

>     ps: your namecalling doesn't give you any credit, nor makes your
>     argument anymore credible.
>

> oie desolé - that was improper and uncall for --- make me the dummy.
>

> --
> Borg le Chevalier

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496