[rpd] Board Election 2017: Final Candidate Slate

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Sun May 21 09:37:25 UTC 2017

On 5/21/17, 3:56 AM, "Boubakar Barry" <boubakarbarry at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 6:22 AM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
Interesting...academic papers, technical capabilities?

All nice and good to have.

But remember board positions are LEADERSHIP rather than academic or technical positions.

Asking candidates to provide for example 3 published papers in refereed journals or certifications in Cisco, Unix or Security may miss the point since you are not hiring an 'EMPLOYEE'. In other words, having academic publications is good but not a reliable predictor of an effective board member.

Has this ever been required for being a candidate for AfriNIC Board member?

No but maybe its time we did after 10 years in a complex evolving environment we should.

No! So let's not exaggerate things and create unnecessary and time wasting discussions.

On the contrary we might be loosing more valuable time

But fact is that AfriNIC deserves to have highly qualified women and men in its Board.

Fully agreed

Playing down education will certainly not serve AfriNIC and our continent. It would rather send bad signals to our youth; something like: just find your way through the "system".

Boubakar

walu
Disclaimer: Speaking In my own capacity.