[rpd] Routed block of IPs to my internet connection

Eric C. Kom eric.kom83 at gmail.com
Mon May 8 06:38:43 UTC 2017

Good   day all,

On 6 May 2017 at 01:26, Mark Elkins <mje at posix.co.za> wrote:

> Wrong place to ask - but whatever.

​May I have a correct address Mark?​

(Eric Kom runs a network at a further education college in South Africa,
> I've helped him in the past with Domain Names and he has been on my
> DNS/DNSSEC courses)

​YES: Mark is right, you always been my good mentor. ​

> You should ask for an End User block of address space - which is expensive
> the first year then $100 (?) a year after that. That would

​I will contact AFRINIC.

> be for a /24 or 256 IPv4 addresses. You should also ask for a /48 of IPv6
> address space and an ASN - which currently costs nothing extra. I don't see
> this as difficult. Technically -

​Okay

> I believe you need to show that you will be talking to more than one
> "provider" - thus needing your own block IP. Providers include Exchange
> points (
> ​​
> JINX, NapAfrica @Teraco) as well as those people that sell Transit to the
> rest of the Internet (Telkom, Posix - etc).
>
> ​I may not understand clearly the above paragraph. Internet provider or
block IPs?

> Getting that routed natively may be a challenge - especially over Telkom
> SA's ADSL product. If there is a local fibre provider, it might be easier.
> Telkom SA can sell you access to Metro Ethernet or other Digital products
> and will Route (BGP) natively for you - but way more expensive than ADSL
> type connections.

​Right now it is difficult to get Fibre provider in my location White
River, I tried to look at Nelspruit, but could not find.​

> You could certainly tunnel the IPv6 block over to the likes of Hurricane
> Electric though. You may also be able to tunnel your IPv4 block over ADSL
> to someone who would advertise it for you. It then becomes pretty much
> transparent. Traditionally, you'll need a
>

> router on you side that can talk BGP and perhaps run tunnels. A Mikrotik
> should be an economic enough solution.

​I used RouterBOARD already. ​

​Pretty good​