[rpd] Routed block of IPs to my internet connection

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Sat May 6 08:26:38 UTC 2017

Wrong place to ask - but whatever.

(Eric Kom runs a network at a further education college in South Africa,
I've helped him in the past with Domain Names and he has been on my
DNS/DNSSEC courses)

You should ask for an End User block of address space - which is
expensive the first year then $100 (?) a year after that. That would be
for a /24 or 256 IPv4 addresses. You should also ask for a /48 of IPv6
address space and an ASN - which currently costs nothing extra. I don't
see this as difficult. Technically - I believe you need to show that you
will be talking to more than one "provider" - thus needing your own
block IP. Providers include Exchange points (JINX, NapAfrica @Teraco) as
well as those people that sell Transit to the rest of the Internet
(Telkom, Posix - etc).

Getting that routed natively may be a challenge - especially over Telkom
SA's ADSL product. If there is a local fibre provider, it might be
easier. Telkom SA can sell you access to Metro Ethernet or other Digital
products and will Route (BGP) natively for you - but way more expensive
than ADSL type connections.

You could certainly tunnel the IPv6 block over to the likes of Hurricane
Electric though. You may also be able to tunnel your IPv4 block over
ADSL to someone who would advertise it for you. It then becomes pretty
much transparent. Traditionally, you'll need a router on you side that
can talk BGP and perhaps run tunnels. A Mikrotik should be an economic
enough solution.

On 06/05/2017 09:35, Eric C. Kom wrote:
> ​Good day Folks,
>
> I don't know if I am using the right forum for this question!
>
> I have an Internet Service Project that would need a block of IP
> addresses between 100 to 200 addresses.
>
> As far as I know, local ISP in South Africa do not provide Internet
> Connection with more than 5 Static IPs per package.
>
> My question is, if I buy block of IPs from AFRINIC; how can I routed
> those IPs to my Internet Connection?
>
> It is possible to do so?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Eric Kom

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496