[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue Apr 11 21:07:28 UTC 2017

I've read the policy and its difficult to argue against.

Personally, I believe that everyone should have the right of access to
information - so they have the information to make up their own mind
about what to do, whom to believe - etc. The Internet is the best tool
man has invented so far that does this. Radio and TV are great but the
information can be manipulated and censored. Having access to the
Internet means you can get many opposing or differing viewpoints on a
subject - which allows the individual user to decide.

Many inventions can be used both for evil and for good. The Internet is
no exception - but I believe the good far outweighs the evil.

Removing that ability to use the Internet is thus depriving the user of
being able to use it to choose their own way forwards - whether its when
to plant a crop or what crop to plant or whom to vote for in the next
election.

For many years, I've viewed the Internet as the great equaliser.

Any government that denies Internet access to its people should be
"encouraged" not to do so. This Policy certainly goes in that direction.

On 11/04/2017 20:43, SamiSalih wrote:
> Dear AFRINIC PDWG Members,
>
> Greetings,
>
> We have received a new policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"
>
> From the following Authors:
> a) Andrew Alston  – Liquid Telecommunications - andrew.alston at liquidtelecom.com
> b) Ben Roberts    – Liquid Telecommunications - ben.roberts at liquidtelecom.com
> c) Fiona Asonga   – TESPOK                    – tespok at tespok.co.ke
>
> Published in this link
>
> https://afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development/policy-proposals/2061-anti-shutdown-01
>
> Best Regards,
>
> PDWG Co-chairs

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496