[rpd] Report of the Soft Landing isuue

abel ELITCHA kmw.elitcha at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 15:34:33 UTC 2017

Greetings Alan,
See few comments in-line.

> Nothing in the AFRINIC policy development process prevents Board members
> from participating in the process.

True, and nothing prevents co-chairs

> The Board has no role in determining whether or not a proposal has rough
> consensus; that is done by the PDWG co-chairs.

True as well. PDWG co-chairs are the only ones who can declare rough
consensus.

> The Board does have a role in ratifying policy proposals, but that occurs
> only after the community has reached rough consensus as determined by the
> PDWG co-chairs.  The Board’s role there is to check that the process was
> followed, and that there are no legal or other important barriers to
> implementation of the policy.

Actually, that's fully the board's role to ratify policies that have
reached rough consensus. It's not the board role to check if there are no
legal/implementation barriers, PDP provide with "Legal & Staff assessment"
which are open for the community to comment. Of course, Board can double
check this.

When/if the proposal gets to the point of ratification by the Board, any
> Board member with a conflict of interest would have to recuse themselves
> from voting.

And what happens when 3/5 board members (or all) have been active during a
policy proposal discussion taking clearly & openly a position/side? What
will be the quorum to the vote participation?

> Alan Barrett
>
> I know you’ll dismiss these, but they illustrate how we make things
complex for AFRICA to make simple decision.

--
--Abel