[rpd] Report of the Soft Landing isuue

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Apr 4 21:38:12 UTC 2017

> On Apr 4, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:
> Nothing in the AFRINIC policy development process prevents Board members from participating in the process.  The Board has no role in determining whether or not a proposal has rough consensus; that is done by the PDWG co-chairs.  The Board does have a role in ratifying policy proposals, but that occurs only after the community has reached rough consensus as determined by the PDWG co-chairs.  The Board’s role there is to check that the process was followed, and that there are no legal or other important barriers to implementation of the policy.

The process Alan describes is the same as that of other RIRs, where board members also routinely participate in the policy process.

Indeed, if board members were to not participate in the policy process, it’s not clear to me what criteria members would use to select them for the board.  It’s the primary way we express our interests and opinions within the community.

                                -Bill