[rpd] Inbound Policy

fransossen at yahoo.com fransossen at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 12:45:49 UTC 2016

 Hi SM,

>On Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:22 PM, "sm+afrinic at elandsys.com" <sm+afrinic at elandsys.com> wrote:

 >Hi David,
>
>I took a look at the IPv4 statistics for the region and I found that
>IPv4 address space is still available.  Why are organisations in the
>region requiring a /22 or less priced out?>
>
>Regards,>
>S. Moonesamy

My comments where in context of future IPv4 transfers, apologies if unclear.That's all. Of course anyone can still get what they need as long as they are in good standing.
I could be wrong and for some reason the AFRINIC transfer market prices will be lower than in the rest of the world, but I don't see that happening.
Without any possibility to offer any external competition,the prices within the region will be as high as the seller wants, given the amount of members in the region the offer will be scarce leading to high prices without any possibility to source outside of the region and import into AFRINIC.
The more restrictive the transfers policy is, the higher the costs will be, inbound transfer would had helped a bit and at the least it would give an option or alternative for sourcing IPv4 address.
I support transfers as in "they will happen, let's regulate them or we will get a mess", other than that I am not a fan of them, but  all transfers will come at a financial costs, they are not "new allocations" issued from the AFRINIC pool.
Any company sourcing transfers will do so at a large cost.

Putting restrictions on transfer from out of region is not going to help new LIRs and is certainly not going to help any already existing organisation either other than sellers/brokers, by the time transfers are happening, the IPv4 pool of the AFRINIC will be depleted, and no "policing" can replenish that pool to any level that would have a noticeable impact for the whole community.

IPv4 policies are there to ensure the fair distribution and utilisation of address space from the free pool, once that pool is depleted, a lot of these policies will be obsolete and even detrimental to the further development of IPv4 networks, restricting inbound transfer but allowing intra transfer is detrimental to almost everyone but the sellers/brokers.

Regards,
David Hilario