[rpd] Soft Landing Review

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Dec 8 13:55:21 UTC 2016

Thanks Seun - comments inline.

On 07/12/2016 13:36, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> offlist
>
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Mark Elkins <mje at posix.co.za
> <mailto:mje at posix.co.za>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/12/2016 02:49, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
>     <mailto:sm%2Bafrinic at elandsys.com> wrote:
>
>     > I have simplified the following; I have also not considered some
>     > of the input to the discussions:  There has been input from two
>     > "internet service providers" only.  Given that there is only 1.38
>     > IPv4 /8 available, can a decision which will affect the entire.
>     > service region be taken?
>
>     I've been looking at the current Soft Landing proposal - the one that is
>     in existence and the one that I contributed a little bit to (thanks
>     Douglas!).
>
>     Essentially:-
>
>     Phase 1:
>     When we hit the last /8, Phase 1 reduces the max size of an
>     allocation/assignment from /10 to /13. It also carves off a /12 for
>     unforeseen use. This continues until we have a /11 left.
>     This will allow for 7 x /11's and a /12 - if people choose the largest
>     possible sizes. This will still take a while to go through.
>
>     Phase 2:
>     Allow people to get up to a /22. People can come back multiple times.
>     There are 2048 of these /22 blocks available. This would take a while to
>     burn through, simply because the process is a bit slow.
>
>     Then we are finished.
>
>                           -------------
>
>     However - the Unforeseen /12 could still be used.
>     We already have reserves for IXP's and Critical infrastructure.
>
>     I'd like to see a revision that there is then a Phase 3:
>
>     That the /12 can be given out in /22's (there are 1024 of these) but
>     only to people with a total of less than a /21 (including what they ask
>     for). ie - New people could come back once. This I believe will last
>     multiple years.

> SO: I will add +1 to this with a little edit.
> Only to people with existing space less than a /21 in total (including their transfers).

This I think should be anyone (whether New or Existing) can come back -
but can only have up to a total of /21 space. If they already have a /21
or more space - then they must go somewhere else (e.g. Transfer)
You seem to imply only members with existing space can get from the last
/12 ??

> I like to come back limit as well.

I'm suggesting no return limit - but a limit on their total accumulated
space (/21).

>     I don't believe we need any further reserves.
>
> SO: I agree based on what you've proposed above

:-)

>     We only need to last another two or three years.
>

> SO: I don't think its necessary to project this. I think the important
> thing is that resource is available for x number of years and would also
> address any possible unforeseen(if it in anyway exist) need.

I wouldn't put "we only need to last another 2/3 years" in a proposal. I
think its important though to (gut-feel) estimate where this will take
us, so people understand that this is not a "quick burn".

>     Lastly - any addresses from Phase 2 or 3 can never be transferred, (M&A
>     included) and must be returned to AFRINIC for re-deployment.

> SO: Actually i would prefer that be added to the entire last block /8.
> That will make things easier and neater.

Could do.
Would be interesting to see how other people feel.
My reason for only Phase 2 and 3 though was this would be more
equivalent to a /8 from the other regions in proportion to how much
total space we have.  Phase 1 is almost business as usual. Phase 2/3 is
where it really starts to hurt. I believe returns from phase 2/3 will
actually keep us going even longer.

> Fyi, if you need a co-author to this i can be available.

Thank you for your support!

--
Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496