[rpd] Soft Landing Review

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Dec 8 09:31:01 UTC 2016

Yes. You have the essence. Anyone with less than a /21 can get space in
Phase 3 - but only to bring their space up to a /21 - a /22 at a time.

I'm suggesting that space from Phase 2 and 3 can not be transferred
(sold) or otherwise disposed-of/acquired by mergers or acquisitions. The
addresses would have to go back to AFRINIC. The only exception would be
a change of ownership or organisational name. I guess logically, if two
players both with a /21 were to merge into a single entity, they would
have to return a single /21 of space - not both /21's.

This (punitive?) action is based on my belief that even a good sized ISP
should be able to run just fine on something like a /21.
End users should run IPv6 as would all infrastructure. Exceptions  could
be some NAT64 systems, Nameservers, outward facing mail systems, and
other outward facing systems such as Web Servers and boundary routers.
Essentially, IPv4 would be used close to the edge.
The underlying purpose is to deny an entity creating multiple
organisations and then merging the addresses into that entity - as we
see for example in RIPE today.
I run a Web Server which manages about 1000 web sites and it uses 4 IPv4
addresses - and that's for convenience. All the customer web sites (SSL
and not) are on the same single IP address. My Hosted customers who also
run multiple web sites usually get by on two IPv4 addresses as well.

Please note - these are ideas at this moment. I'm looking for some
guidance and consensus from people that have first-hand experience.