[rpd] Inbound Policy

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue Dec 6 09:29:31 UTC 2016

On 06/12/2016 10:44, Jackson Muthili wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 6:34 AM, Andrew Alston
> <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Firstly – I write what I say below in my own capacity – and PURELY my own
>> capacity.  What follows is not stated as fact – it is stated as observations
>> and as it is stated as my own beliefs, which I hope are not accurate, and I
>> am (extremely) open to being PROVED wrong.
>>
>> You know – I watched that inbound transfer policy fail – and to be honest I
>> expected as much – because let me say it like it is – I do not believe that
>> the people who stood against the policy stood against the policy itself – I
>> believe this was very much a case of what was described by Chris and Jan at
>> the microphone at the end of the meeting.  It seems to be stances are taken
>> against the regions the policies come from or the people who author the
>> policies.  Until we fix the blatant regional splits in the policy process –
>> we will not come right.
>

> Indeed No conceivable explanation why such a proposal could fail apart
> from above.
>
> It seems to me that these regional splits were started by you Andrew.
> And some of your actions tend to continue championing these splits
> unfortunately.
>
> You may need to be part of the effort to fix the issues you created.

And so some people are quite happy to cut off their nose in order to
spite their face....

(a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem --or--
pursuing revenge in a way that would damage oneself more than the object
of one's anger).

The policy made perfect sense for the community in that it benefits the
community. There was no down side to it.

When looking at how the Intra-AFRINIC transfer proposal went - I
personally saw no equal/opposite reaction - only support from the
community - including from Andrew. If anything, the panel proposing the
policy seemed a little hesitant at times.

It should not matter who is proposing a policy - its the policy that
matters.

                               ----------

The regional splits are neither new nor of Andrews creation. Years ago,
when I first met Dr Nii Quaynor, it was at an iNet conference in San
Jose back in 1999. We were both at a pre-pre-AFRINIC meeting where it
was being "hotly debated" where such an organisation as AFRINIC would be
situated in Africa. I'm sure even back then, the divisions were
Anglo/Franco.... I remember his frustration.

We should be well past this now. Whether we come from an English or
French speaking country or Arabic, Portuguese, Spanish or Ethiopian (I
think that is more or less the whole list?), we should be united in
doing what is best for the whole African Internet community. If some
person whom we dislike has a good idea - its still a good idea. We
should not go after the person. If its a bad, illogical proposal - pick
on that and not the person.
If its a good, logical proposal (even if one may not fully support it in
its entirety), we need to remain constructive.

The Internet World watches us.

So I strongly believe we need this inbound transfer policy and as such,
I support the Policy.

--
Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496