[rpd] Proposal Update received: Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Wed Nov 23 12:02:22 UTC 2016

hello,

> On Nov 23, 2016, at 10:23 AM, Mark Elkins <mje at posix.co.za> wrote:
>
> Thanks PDP Chairs for posting the update
>
> Thanks proposers for listening to the community and providing a timely
> update.
>
> Personally - I still think this is a bad idea and oppose this policy.

I also oppose your decision based on what you can read below :-)

> a) it needs to cover all allocations/assignments made from AFRINIC
> numbering resources - not just some.

This can be easily fixed if all agree. Reasons for this have been explained many times...

> b) It prioritises on IPv4 and 2-byte ASN's - but explicitly mentions
> random checks on large IPV6-only allocations/assignments - which sounds
> like a conflict.

3.2 The reviews cover all allocated/Assigned resources, but priority goes
to IPv4 and ASN mappable to two-octet ASN.

> c) AFRINIC already has the authority to do much of what the policy goes
> out to achieve - such as reclaim unused resources.

Is this guidelines of how AFRINIC shall exercise  this authority so bad ?

> d) Still sounds like an opportunity for a Witch Hunt.

Hmmm. there are the “Witch”. I see none here.

It is about people using public ressources(need based) been given right and opportunity  to show that they complain to rules.

- Say what you do ( when you apply for the numbers)
- Do what you say (when using the numbers)
- Prove it (when you are asked to)

> If there is a fear that people are hoarding resources - especially
> people with large blocks of IPv4 address space,

I, personally do not see this. There seems to be a general agreement, that AFRINIC staff is trusted for allocating the numbers based on need justifications and following the policies and  BCPs...

> then have the Board
> re-examine the pricing schedule and increase those prices.

I am still convinced that the price shall  be "cost recovery" for AFRINIC and based of level of service offered to members and not based on value of ressources. But i am open for discussing…..

Hope this helps

—Alain