[rpd] Mass Hijacking of AFRINIC IPv4 Space by U.S.A. Spammers

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Fri Nov 18 18:08:17 UTC 2016

Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

[...]

> and I could not find it on there anywhere, so I just gave up and
> assumed that even if there was some secret option to get real
> and complete data, it was being hidden so that mere mortals
> couldn't find it or use it.
>
> But anyway, I don't understand the point of filtering out the
> really useful data by default anyway.  I mean why should one
> have to use a special undocumented option anyway?  What's the
> point?

As I understand it, AFRINIC uses the RIPE Database software. The RIPE
Database software was updated to include this feature because anti-spam
campaigners would routinely spam their complaint to every address associated
with a resource, even though a large proportion of those addresses would
have nothing to do with the network's abuse desk.

The database documentation probably explains it better than I can:

https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/db/support/documentation/ripe-datab
ase-documentation/types-of-queries/16-6-filtering-the-query-response

Kind regards,

Leo Vegoda