[rpd] Mass Hijacking of AFRINIC IPv4 Space by U.S.A. Spammers

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 08:15:34 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 8:29 AM, Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net>
wrote:

> > On 18 Nov 2016, at 10:29, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
> wrote:
> > I dimly remembered that -somebody-
> > had said something to me about some special option I needed to use, just
> > to get useful data out of the AFRINIC WHOIS server, but then I got busy
> > and distracted working on other things, forgot what the magic option
> > was, and then, when I tried to find out again what the secret option
> > was, I went to the web and tried to find it on this page:
> >
> > http://www.afrinic.net/library/corporate-documents/197-
> database-afrinic-database-reference-manual-
> >
> > and I could not find it on there anywhere, so I just gave up and assumed
> > that even if there was some secret option to get real and complete data,
> > it was being hidden so that mere mortals couldn't find it or use it.
>
> It’s definitely a bug that the -B option is not documented on that page.
> We’ll get that fixed.

SO: Irrespective the -B option is always there in the actual query:

:~$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net ORG-FUO1-AFRINIC
% This is the AfriNIC Whois server.

*% Note: this output has been filtered.%       To receive output for a
database update, use the "-B" flag.*

% Information related to 'ORG-FUO1-AFRINIC'

> I will also initiate a discussion on whether the filtering by default is
> necessary or useful.

SO: Just incase Ronald is not on the dbwg list:

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*

Bringing another down does not take you up - think about your action!