[rpd] Mass Hijacking of AFRINIC IPv4 Space by U.S.A. Spammers

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Fri Nov 18 13:20:44 UTC 2016

Heh, if a legacy resource holder cannot be located by AfriNIC, since AfriNIC never assigned the space in the first place and these aren’t “African” resources – if you want to play that game – the space should probably be returned directly to IANA.

As for the need for an audit policy?  Omo you make me laugh – what part of – the audit policy would have done absolutely nothing in this situation do you fail to grasp?

What part of – hijacking space is not limited to unannounced space do you not understand?

And further more – you go reclaim the space and it sits unannounced – what stops it being hijacked after that?  Furthermore – do you want to be allocated previously hijacked space that is blacklisted on spamhaus and mimecast and every other spam filter on the planet?  Or does it suddenly become AfriNIC’s job to get that space cleaned once its *stolen* which would be the result of this?

You talk about fear mongering – yet here you are attempting to justify a policy based on a situation that the policy would have had zero effect on -  a situation that is directly related to space that is allocated but not announced – while 75% of your own space sits unannounced in exactly the same position (and it isn’t even legacy).

*shakes head in amusement*

Andrew

On 18/11/2016, 11:38, "Omo Oaiya" <Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net> wrote:

    > On 18 Nov 2016, at 09:14, Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:
    >

    >> On 18 Nov 2016, at 11:28, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
    >> I do -not- suggest taking back any legacy resources from any legal entity
    >> or rightful successor in law where said entity or at least some rightful
    >> succssor in law can be located with modest but reasonable due diligence.
    >> But neither do I think it a wise practice to bury the dead with all of
    >> their Krugerrands, e.g. out of some deranged and misplaced sense of duty
    >> to their departed spirits.
    >
    > I will initiate an effort to contact legacy resource holders whose space is registered in the AFRINCI database, and verify or update their contact details.  I don’t know what can be done if the original resource holder has disappeared leaving the space abandoned.

    What is clearly evident is that a review/audit policy is sorely needed.  I don’t know about Mauritius but abandoned property is generally subject to finders keepers rules or a variation.  I can see no better keeper than the RIR. Perhaps we seek legal advice on this as you try to contact these resource holders.

    I am not condoning but couldn’t help noticing the varied response to Ronald Guilmette’s breach of conduct.   If the authors of the proposed policy got as much varied feedback, it would help to make sure the policy fulfils the requirements rather than the distractions with inconsequential fear-mongering posts about witch hunts etc.

    -Omo