[rpd] Mass Hijacking of AFRINIC IPv4 Space by U.S.A. Spammers

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Fri Nov 18 04:28:48 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 11/17/2016 11:41 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> In message <6.2.5.6.2.20161117120603.0b2e8028 at elandnews.com>,
> sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
>> I read the report.

me too.
I don't have enable at the spammer nor their upstreams.

> OK.  Whew!  For awhile there I was starting to worry that the entire
> African continent ...
.... country of The Netherlands..... according to your new found info...

> So, you read my report on NANOG and then what?  You yawned, rolled over,
> and went back to sleep?  Did you mention that it might be worth reading
> to any of your Afrinic friends or collegues?

While the spammers and their upstreams seam to be outside africa.
I have found that an Org in Africa is crucial for the reverse DNS - at
least for the first block listed. will try to contact them.
I believe reverse DNS is needed for spamming and stopping this will
help. (there might be other issues remaining, but "low hanging fruit")

>>> Does anybody in the whole of the AFRINIC region even give a damn that
>>> large quantities of unused AFRINIC IPv4 address space are being hijacked,
>>> as we speak, by American snowshoe spammers?

s/unused AFRINIC IPv4 address space/unused LEGACY IPv4 address space/

> Gee, thanks.  After fighing spam on the Internet for the last 21 years, I
> guess that by now I have some understanding of what it is.

please start using "-B" in your whois queries.

Frank