[rpd] Mass Hijacking of AFRINIC IPv4 Space by U.S.A. Spammers

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Nov 17 20:41:43 UTC 2016

In message <6.2.5.6.2.20161117120603.0b2e8028 at elandnews.com>,
sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:

>Hi Ronald,
>At 11:08 17-11-2016, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>>I wonder if anybody on this list is even aware of this report which I
>>posted recently to the NANOG list:
>
>I read the report.

OK.  Whew!  For awhile there I was starting to worry that the entire
African continent was utterly ignorant of and/or oblivious to anything
going on outside the continent.  I am glad that this is not the case.

So, you read my report on NANOG and then what?  You yawned, rolled over,
and went back to sleep?  Did you mention that it might be worth reading
to any of your Afrinic friends or collegues?

>>Does anybody in the whole of the AFRINIC region even give a damn that
>>large quantities of unused AFRINIC IPv4 address space are being hijacked,
>>as we speak, by American snowshoe spammers?
>
>I did a quick verification.  Most of the IPv4 address space listed in
>the report is allocated to organizations in one country in this region.
>I don't understand why it is being described as a problem
>for the entire region.

So, this is your proposed solution??  Blame it all on South Africa and
then everybody else on the whole continent can just ignore the whole
thing??

But anyway, the home country of the organizations which had had their IPv4
space used and abused (due to disuse) is irrelevant.  Who issued these
allocations in the first place?  What RIR has responsibility for them?

Does the country of South Africa, or even its government have a responsibility
to be good stewards of the IPv4 address space?

>There is a webpage about spam at http://www.afrinic.net/Registration/spam.htm

Gee, thanks.  After fighing spam on the Internet for the last 21 years, I
guess that by now I have some understanding of what it is.

Regards,
rfg