[rpd] Summary of proposals: IPv4 Runout Management

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Tue Nov 8 20:20:13 UTC 2016

As a matter of interest, I was running some numbers on what the policy IPv4 Soft Landing-BIS would mean financially to providers who actually needed space to connect customers.

This is specific to phase 2 and looks entirely at allocation costs based on the current fee structure.

Since applications will have to be a single /22 at a time, and each one will be subject to an allocation fee, the following would occur:

Size of Block

Effective Cost

Effective Allocation Cost / IP

Additional base cost per Customer (/30)

11

$3,584,000.00

$1.71

$6.84

12

$1,792,000.00

$1.71

$6.84

13

$896,000.00

$1.71

$6.84

14

$448,000.00

$1.71

$6.84

15

$224,000.00

$1.71

$6.84

16

$112,000.00

$1.71

$6.84

17

$56,000.00

$1.71

$6.84

18

$28,000.00

$1.71

$6.84

19

$14,000.00

$1.71

$6.84

20

$7,000.00

$1.71

$6.84

21

$3,500.00

$1.71

$6.84

22

$1,750.00

$1.71

$6.84

23

$1,750.00

$3.42

$13.67

24

$1,750.00

$6.84

$27.34

Good luck to the ISP's in developing markets who want to get started and want to support corporates who want/need/demand live IP address space - because I predict they will be pretty damn uncompetitive when going up against multi-nationals who had space that was allocated before this policy and can afford to give the customers what they want without incurring large costs.

I can tell you now - there are corporates out there who will come to an ISP and ask for v4 AND v6, but they will want a /20, or a /19, with their link.  It the ISP has to recover an additional $7000 or $14000 before they sell a damn thing to the customer, versus their competition that got the space first - guess what, they are going to lose the business.

Yes, it's easy for people who have huge amounts of space to support a policy allocated before this policy passed to support it - they won't take the hit.  Yes, it's easy for people who ARENT in the ISP game to support this policy - they won't take the hit.  But for the ISP's that actually have to bear these costs?  This policy does nothing but hurt the industry and push up the cost to the end user, when Africa's costs of Internet are already some of the highest in the world.

Btw - just as a note - 3 years ago I did an IPv6 dual stack on a university campus in South Africa - did several presentations about it.  Because of the way their network was structured before we re-architectured it, and to do true dual stack, we *required* a /15 worth of v4 space to re-do the network, and then add v6 on it.  Today that university runs in excess of 60% of their total traffic on IPv6, but the v4 is still very much in use on the campus.  Had they wanted to do the same exercise with this policy in place, it would never have happened, and they would not be running any v6.  Why? Because there was no way in hell they would have paid $224,000 in addition to other costs.

So once again - I oppose this policy - for every reason I have stated time and again - and now based on these calculations which show that this policy just screws the newcomer, screws the consumer, and benefits the large players who already have space and established infrastructure.

Andrew