[rpd] Summary of proposals: IPv4 Runout Management

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Tue Nov 8 19:41:22 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 11/8/2016 9:44 PM, Noah wrote:
> You forget that just like the IPv4 Internet, the IPv6 Internet will also
> sponteneously developed. Nothing happens over night to so many
> fundamental factors.

I shall strive to use the same argument against any similar provisions
int the IPv6 softlanding policy. I hope this addresses your concern.

> Look at the history of Internet development across the world in each
> continent and what factors were at play per continent in fostering the
> Internet.

Certainly a military of one country got a huge chunk of addresses in an
experiment that they (partly?) funded and I really don't know if they
use it internally and just don't want to announce it to "the rest of us".
Hope they tick the right boxes in that country right now ;-)

>> And I think we all know examples of cases where people are unprepared
>> and will be surprised - no matter whether it happens sooner or later.
>>

> I doubt any one will be suprised imho.

s/surprised/"surprised" ;-) ;-) ;-)/
==>
>> And I think we all know examples of cases where people are unprepared
>> and will be "surprised" ;-) ;-) ;-) - no matter whether it happens
>> sooner or later.

> I am sure wacren has their own reasons as to why some of that v6 is not
> lit.

s/some of that v6/all of their v6 and some of their v4/

and so (might) have the holders of 34.36 /8 of ARIN space that Omo
mentioned. same rules for both of them.

> But lets not use that as the basis to prove a point.

No. let's not.
Can we weigh contributions by actions on the contributor's part?

> What is more important at least imho is the policies under discussion.
And whether it's just words or backed up with actions.

To be Frank:
I'm against any effort into IPv4. Or v4 policies.
Former (active) soft-landing, new-this-one, new-that-one.
It's not helping in the long run.
I wish all of that effort could go into v6.
:wq

Frank