[rpd] Summary of proposals: IPv4 Runout Management

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Fri Nov 4 20:08:12 UTC 2016

Please can we know what the motivation behind the /14 number chosen for new entrants is and what data was used to select this number.

The same applies for the /13 for unforeseen future, how was this number arrived at, and can we understand the motivation behind reserving more space for unforeseen future than for new entrants.

Without data to evaluate these numbers they come across as arbitrary and without justification and I oppose putting anything into policy that cannot be backed by empirical facts.

I oppose the IPv6 address space as a requirement – it has proven to be an ineffective method of promoting ipv6 and serves absolutely no purpose (see V6 announcement vs allocation statistics and the fact that the continent already has over 500 ipv6 assignments spread pretty evenly across the continent with active deployments in only 3 or 4 countries)

I oppose the allocations for new entrants being used exclusively for ipv6 transition – I do not believe that AfriNIC has the right to dictate to anyone how they use their space, and if they have a legitimate requirement for v4 space for internal (non globally routable, but requirement global uniqueness) they should be able to get it – there would be no translation on such internal things.

Andrew