[rpd] Accountability assessment - PDP review?

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Tue Nov 1 01:47:09 UTC 2016

One of the problems with the PDP Co-chair positions that makes it unattractive for
potential candidates is that AFRNIC does not have clearly defined terms of reference for
these poasitions other than what is in the PDP.

For example, when I was a Co-chair, there was not set rule on how or whether the
co-chair is funded by AFRINIC to attend the Policy Meeting or any other AFRINIC meeting.
The co-chairs have to make a request on a case by case basis, even then, there is no
rule on how the co-chair makes the request, to whom and for what they qualify.

It seems very weird that the co-chair has to apply for a fellowship.

I am aware that this issue persisted to co-chairs that succeeded me and my co-chair
colleagues.

Can AFRINIC clarify if this unfortunate arrangement has now improved?

I am also aware that this is the case for AFRINIC Board members BUT Board members are
"lucky" in the sense that they are able to determine, as  a Board,  at the begining of
the financial year, what the travel plan for each Board member is and there is a budget
for the travel plan of the Board. It would be best if this was extended to the co-chairs
so that they have a clear plan for each year.

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD