[rpd] Accountability assessment - PDP review?

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 13:13:17 UTC 2016

Hello,

One of the challenges we had in the last few years of PDP is that most
Chairs don't complete their term. Ofcourse it's not intentional, just how
things happened. This is why we experienced a few impromptu need to get
someone to serve as a replacement, otherwise there has always been a fairly
long process to electing a Co-Chair.

However, I think we got lucky in that we always got good people stepping
forward to fill the seat. I will also re-echo what Mark hinted; the PDP
doesn't get much volunteer standing up for election, hence the position is
less contested. It will be good to see more people put up for the position
so we have a pool of candidates to select from as a community.

Regards

Sent from my LG G4
Kindly excuse brevity and typos

On 29 Oct 2016 1:01 p.m., "ALAIN AINA" <aalain at trstech.net> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2016, at 2:36 PM, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
>
> Hi Alain,
> At 01:56 29-10-2016, ALAIN AINA wrote:
>> Under  a normal election process, i may have chance to google for
candidates background, but what  would i look for ?
>> experience with  AFRINIC PDP? experience with Working Group ? experience
with Internet Number ressources management ?
>> As we have multiple chairs, skills and expertises needed at some point,
may not always be the same.

> The is a description of the responsibilities of the Chairs at
http://afrinic.net/en/community/elections/pdwg-election It does not list
any of the above.  There is a video about the last selection of a Chair at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR6UNQnrqcs  The video shows the Chair of
Afrinic Ltd refreshing the memory of one of the candidates.

> If the persons voting for or against a candidate believe that one or more
of the points which are listed above are required, I assume that they would
use that for their decision.

>> I also point to cases  of  co-chairs election of the fly where one did
not have that chance
> .
>
> Yes.
>
>> And voting for co-chairs is by show of hands of  people attending a
particular public policy meeting.

> Ernest commented that according to the PDP the voting is done by a show
of hands.  The election of the Chair used to be done by secret ballot.  In
cases where there were last minute problems, the selection was done through
a mechanism proposed by the Chair of Afrinic Ltd.  As those are recurring
problems, I suggest documenting how the election/selection is supposed to
be done.

Ack. We must now  document and be explicit all times.
 But my main point here was that people voting in the room at a moment do
not have necessary have a clue of what is going on and just vote as asked.

May be gauge the support to candidates on mailing list before the elections
?

—Alain