[rpd] Accountability assessment - PDP review?

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Sat Oct 29 08:56:25 UTC 2016

> On Oct 28, 2016, at 9:45 AM, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
>
> Hi Omo,
> At 00:05 25-10-2016, Omo Oaiya wrote:
>> While the new PDP succeeded in addressing #1 and #2, it has not addressed #3 and #4.
>
> [snip]
>
>> - It did not prescribe criteria for co-chairs selection or an election mechanism.
>
> At a location I am familiar with, the trend is to do a "Google search" to verify information.  It might help to find out whether the person interested in being selected as a Chair has actually participated in a policy development process.

Under  a normal election process, i may have chance to google for candidates background, but what  would i look for ?
experience with  AFRINIC PDP? experience with Working Group ? experience with Internet Number ressources management ?
As we have multiple chairs, skills and expertises needed at some point,  may not always be the same.

I also point to cases  of  co-chairs election of the fly where one did not have that chance….

And voting for co-chairs is by show of hands of  people attending a particular public policy meeting.

>  Over the years, different mechanisms have been used to select a Chair.  It does not matter which mechanism is used as there are safeguards in the process to protect "minorities”.

I would preferred  to improve the selection mechanisms and minimise the recourse to “minorities protection”  safeguards .

> Some of the issues which affect a policy development process are conflict of interest and restrictions to participation.

I totally agree with you. Conflict of interest must be managed throughout the overall process. At the WG level, At the  policy proposal ratification level and during appeals.

Restrictions to participation as well must be factored in the PDP  to make sure, every interested party has a chance to be heard and considered  without  100% presence and lot of repetitions.

—Alain