[rpd] Accountability assessment - PDP review?

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Fri Oct 28 01:19:01 UTC 2016

Hi Owen,
At 16:50 27-10-2016, Owen DeLong wrote:
>Well
 It is difficult to measure consensus in
>any way that doesn't at least to some extent
>look like voting. The main difference between
>measuring consensus and voting really comes in
>what you do with the numbers at the end.
>Consensus being a lack of sustained opposition
>and rough consensus being a situation where the
>opposition has been clearly heard and addressed
>to the extent practical such that any remaining
>opposition is a clear minority that cannot be
>reasonably accommodated, any mechanism to
>establish whether or not there is support
>amongst those present is likely to resemble some form of voting, polling, etc.

It is better not to measure consensus (or vote)
as it is possible to fill the room with people
who will vote for my draft policy.  The
opinion(s) of a minority of people cannot be
ignored if the decision is to be taken by consensus.

Consensus in, for example, ICANN has a different
interpretation when compared to the way it is
done in the IETF.  It is also different in RIR
venues.  A closer look at the different working
groups within the IETF would show that there are also differences there.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy