[rpd] Policy Proposal Update - IPv4 Soft Landing-bis

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Aug 28 09:48:51 UTC 2016

On 27/Aug/16 13:41, John Hay wrote:

> Should it be about the company or what they want to do with it? Is a
> big allocation because you want to connect a lot of users worse than a
> small allocation connecting a few users? It does not seem fair either.

I doubt that an ISP applying for IPv4 space from AFRINIC intends to sit
on it and watch it rot.

If the ISP is going to use the IPv4 space to connect customers, who
cares whether it's a big ISP or a small one?

If the ISP sits on the IPv4 space and goes out of business because they
could not earn revenue from paying customers, market forces will see to
it that the space either goes back to AFRINIC, or ends up in the hands
of another ISP that is ready to use it to connect paying customers.

The bottom line is advancing connectivity in Africa. Not sure why we are
getting caught up in the minutiae of other people's organizations we
know nothing about.

Mark.