[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue Jun 21 08:24:54 UTC 2016

Ouch Andrew...

One though I had when reading Kris's email,

AFRINIC currently gives a 50% fee reduction to Universities. They could
probably link that discount to an expectation - that the University
actually has IPv6, routes it and has contactable services dual-stacked
with IPv4 address space belonging to the same University - otherwise no
discount. Even if their country has poor IPv6 connectivity, a tunnel to
HE could sort that out quite simply.

No reason for local IXP's not to have IPv6 as well and if you are a
University and there is no exchange point - create one - be a Leader.

AFRINIC also has some sort of IPv6 tunnel broker.
Maybe Liquid could do the same?

Universities thus whilst not forced to run IPv6 (dual-stack), would find
it financially prudent to do so. Are they not usually considered amongst
the Leaders of development in a country?

Like I said, just a thought.

Mark @ Posix - who has been dual-sacked since February 2007, despite
Telkom SA still not commercially providing me native IPv6 access.