[rpd] Draft inbound policy

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Tue Jun 21 07:18:02 UTC 2016

* Owen DeLong

> I am thoroughly opposed to this policy.
>
> It is not fair in that it is a one-way (inbound-only) policy. If
> AfriNIC wants to participate in the inter-RIR transfer process, then
> it should do so as a full citizen on an equal footing.

Speaking as a member of the RIPE community (but obviously not on behalf
of the RIPE community), I do not consider this proposed policy as being
unfair at all.

The RIPE community passed an Inter-RIR transfer policy that
deliberately does *not* require the other RIR's policy to be two-way.
Thus, if the AfriNIC community wants to open the door for one-way
transfers from the RIPE region, then that is totally fine as far as the
RIPE community's policies are concerned.

Should we change our mind about this later, it is of course possible
for us to change our Inter-RIR transfer policy at any point in the
future, e.g., by starting to demand reciprocity (like the ARIN
community already does).

The proposed policy merely extends an invitation to the other four
regions. It is up to them to decide whether to accept it (like RIPE) or
decline it (like ARIN); the AfriNIC community simply does not have the
power to unilaterally force an unfair Inter-RIR transfer arrangement
onto another region.

Tore (who neither supports nor objects to the proposed policy; I
believe AfriNIC policy should be for the AfriNIC community to decide)