[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Kris Seeburn seeburn.k at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 05:08:11 UTC 2016

Reply inline

> On Jun 21, 2016, at 11:43 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 20, 2016, at 18:31 , Kris Seeburn <seeburn.k at gmail.com <mailto:seeburn.k at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> So i just want to push another thought in this pool of ideas going around. I wanted us all to think :
>>
>> One i agree that afrinic cannot and should not impose IPv6 as much as it concerns the major LIRs which to me is quite understandable at this stage and am again 50/50 on this. It is like ok giving some v6 resources away which is not being used majorly either since the concentration is still with the v4 space. Fair enough, Afrinic in the past had decided to give v6 resources for free to help in its growth. So nothing much is happening so far. So am i picking suggestions that we should not give v6 resources away for free?
>> The other thinking i am having is ok fine perhaps the minimal v6 allocation that comes with the v4 resources is too much anyways - perhaps a very least minimal give away should be /52 or /56 on a general approach for organisations to look at it and perhaps then come back and ask for bigger blocks that can be charged?
>

> Please NOOOOOOOOO NOOOO NOOO NOOO NOOO NOOO…
>
> Please do not encourage this IPv4-thinking with IPv6. Every end site should get a /48. More if there’s some reason for it which I find somewhat unimaginable, but my imagination is admittedly limited.
>
> Stop scarcity-thinking and trying to conserve the wrong things in IPv6. There are PLENTY of /48s in the first /3. If I’m wrong to the extent that we finish off even this first /3 in 50 years, then by all means, I will help you write more restrictive policies for the remaining 6+ /3s.

I am in full agreement with what you say here whether it is still shared by all is a bit of a challenge. However much the v6 allocation being made for free how much is being advertised and used? I’d like to know that for real. The issue i also have is great loads to give away but there is also costs to it right? Fine give away give away for free how long do we sustain it. Afrinic does not have that many members as in ARIN or RIPE either way. So really i wish i could see some real use of v6. Allocating without use at the end user makes it dull for me. Then what is the use. If you followed the threads you would see same happening. Allocation and usage are two stories right now.

However, i would still want to hear the miracle coming across soon :)

>> On a different scale as far as Academia/Research is concerned perhaps we should take a different approach with them. Since they are kind of key to research we can take it that v4 resources and v6 resources should be allocated differently and dual stacking be requested as part of allocation. People do not get me wrong here. This is the very start of teaching and research which may require further in depth thinking and these institutions as much as paying 50% in general terms should be able to nurture the future of v6 as well. I know in general Academia does not want to be touched and compared differently we need to also see the real essence of facts.
>
> I admit I’m not sure I understand what exactly you are attempting to propose here.

What i was trying to say is we could reduce the allocation size for organisation who do not use v6 and still give the wider chunk to Academia and research and push that v6 allocated to academia who get 50% discount anyways should heavily promote v6 as a result. The slashes may need some revisiting but i’d me more tempted to give them a block that they would use than give it to someone who does not want it anyways.

>> Bottomline what is important is also survival of the businesses as much as survival of Afrinic as well. Great policies great but i feel personally that everything needs to be weighted as well to ensure sustained growth in all parts of the organisations in general.
>
> That sounds great, but can you express it in concrete actions as I’m unsure how anyone goes about implementing it in policy or in actions on their own networks.

Its not only about policy its also making sure Afrinic can really sustain itself after softlanding as the figures will go up during the softlanding as the other RIRs have experienced but at some point it will just be recurrent revenue that will be straight line for a long time and the need to ensure that revenue comes from the main business the need to reflect properly on those is also important. The community has its views and also to make sure the organisation sustains itself and lives or outlives us.

Kris Seeburn
seeburn.k at gmail.com
www.linkedin.com/in/kseeburn/ <http://www.linkedin.com/in/kseeburn/>