[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 20 22:40:59 UTC 2016

> On Jun 18, 2016, at 04:26 , Danny <afahounko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Nishal,
>
> I don't support either your comment/suggestions.
>
> One question: How are we going to increase use of IPv6 in our region if we do not strengthen our policies about ipv6 adoption?
> "Don't tell me how to run my network " routhly said. I personally don't support and don't like this answer.
> AFRINIC vision is "Be the leading force in growing the internet for Africa's sustainable development" and it is Afrinic duty to put all the necessary guidelines for the development of Internet in our region.
> Please we should not forget Afrinic mission in our region.
> And Afrinic has already started by trainings and capacity building.
> We need just to strengthen it and make the IPv6 a reality in our region.
>
> Regards.

Danny,

The key you are missing is “leading”… Let’s look at what that word means.

A leader shows the way. A leader is in front giving an example and encouraging others to follow that example.

If you are pushing someone, you cannot possibly be in front of them, or, you are sending them in the wrong way.
Pushing IPv6 resources onto networks that do not want them will not get IPv6 deployed. It is not leadership. It is pushing and it will push people in the wrong direction. At best, it will accomplish nothing. At worst, it will create resentments… “What do you mean I have to pay for resources I don’t want in order to get the resources I want?”

I admit that my proposal may risk some of those resentments as well, but at least in the case of what I have proposed (and I’m not sure this is a good idea, just an idea) I put forth concrete measurable metrics for actual deployment and use of IPv6 rather than merely here, you must take and pay for these resources whether you will use them or not.